Starting from the Royal Mile, we’ll head up its cobbled streets towards Edinburgh Castle and its esplanade, boasting stunning views over the city’s New Town. Next, we’ll pass through the impressive town wall and learn how, as the city of Edinburgh gained importance in the history of Scotland, its castle expanded and was witness to key events in the history of the United Kingdom.
Scotland’s most visited attraction, Edinburgh Castle, is where the country’s history was written. From the Celts and the Romans to Robert the Bruce, William Wallace and the court of Mary, Queen of Scots – they all played crucial parts over the course of its history. What’s more, the Honours of Scotland and the Stone of Destiny can also be found behind its walls, along with the National War Museum, which recounts the story of the British military.
The castle stands upon an extinct volcano and it was in 900 AD that life began to grow around it. From 600 AD onwards, its first fortress was built. After wood came stone, and after stone a refuge for kings and the main target for the English. It was after the last Jacobite Siege, in 1745, that this fortress laid down its defences as the city’s stronghold and became a national symbol, which today welcomes more than one million visitors every year.
Marvel at its history with full explanations in English by our tour guide, before you explore the museums and prisons within its walls.
Important: Edinburgh castle is a fortress that is made up of various buildings. Our guided tour covers the streets and squares of the fortress. Neither our guide nor any other tour company is authorised to conduct tours inside the buildings of the fortress. However, after the guided tour, you will have time to explore the castle buildings as recommended by our guides.
- 2 horas
- Walking. The tour takes place in the castle’s inner courtyards. We recommend that you wrap up warm due to the cold and rainy weather conditions.
- Lowest Price Guarantee
- Departure Point
- 190 High Street (Royal Mile)
- A printed version of your ticket is not required
- Free cancellation (up to 24 hours before the tour)
- Departure time
- Return Details
- What's Included
- Professional ViajarPorEscocia.com guided tour in Spanish
- Admission to Edinburgh Castle
- 2-hour guided tour. After the tour, you can visit the castle on your own following your guide’s recommendations.
- LochNessBus.com discount card for partner establishments in Edinburgh
- What's No Included
- Comidas: cuando acabe el tour podrás reponer fuerzas en alguna de las cafeterías del castillo.
We were with Xavi, who gave us many historical data and commented on anecdotes that occurred in the castle. Recommended to get the most out of the visit to the castle
Impressive the amount of important data that the guide could give us in just 2 hours! We were amazed. Super recommended, gentlemen and ladies!
I think that without a guide I would not have liked it so much. I think that visiting the castle with a professional guide was a total success.
My wife and I have always had dreamed about the Scottish castles and this one fully met our expectations.
We were delighted with the whole explanation and with the views from the castle. We would repeat again.